The school has its origins in the Will of Thomas Parmiter, silk merchant, in 1681. In his last testament he left property to endow six almshouses and "one free school house or room" in Bethnal Green, London. From small beginnings the school grew over the years into a thriving boys grammar school. In 1977 the Trustees of the Foundation took the decision to move Parmiter's to its present location in Garston where it was established as an all-ability, co-educational school.
The school has the financial support of the Parmiter's Foundation Charity whose resources are dedicated to the enhancement of educational provision for Parmiter's students in the spirit of Thomas Parmiter's original bequest.
Although Parmiter's has been in Hertfordshire since 1977, our ties with the East End of London have been nurtured. Links are retained through the Almshouses and Pensioners Charities of Parmiter's Foundation and a very active Old Parmiterians Society, which includes former students of the Bethnal Green school as well as those who attended Parmiter's in Garston.
We have maintained many of the traditions associated with the long history of the school, including Speech Night, the Service of Nine Lessons and Carols, Remembrance Day services, the Old Parmiterians Annual Dinner and the biennial visit to Charity Farm in Withersfield, the origin of the funding for Parmiter's School. We also hold Pensioners Parties at the school twice a year, to which we invite pensioners from Bethnal Green and Garston.
We run a House system and the six houses are named after benefactors or Old Parmiterians: Beven, Carter, Lee, Mayhew, Renvoize and Woolley. Students take part in a wide variety of academic, cultural, aesthetic and sporting House events throughout the year. Our annual Sports Day in July is the culmination of the house competition when inter-house rivalry on the school field is at its fiercest!