A Brief History

The School has its origins in the Will of Thomas Parmiter, silk merchant, in 1681. In his last testament he left property to endow six almshouses and "one free school house or room" in Bethnal Green, London. Ten students were intended to benefit from his generosity.

Over the years the Trustees of Thomas Parmiter's Estate looked after its investments carefully. By 1880 the number of students had risen to 70, and it was decided to move the School to larger premises in Bethnal Green, and these were completed in 1887. Further additional buildings were provided and in 1976 Parmiter's Grammar School accommodated 525 boys.

In that year the Governors placed a proposal before the Secretary of State for Education and Science to move the Foundation from London to a new site in Garston. In February 1977 the Secretary of State's approval was received.

The first intake of 1st Year students entered the Hertfordshire School in September 1977 and expanded by annual intakes until the full complement of Forms from 1st Year (Year 7) to Upper Sixth (Year 13) had been achieved in September 1983. Parmiter's School in Garston was officially opened by Her Majesty The Queen in December 1981, the year of the Tercentenary of Thomas Parmiter's bequest. Due to heavy oversubscription and the acquisition of Grant Maintained Status in1991, the School continued to expand to its current roll of 1250 students, including over 300 in the Sixth Form.

Though Parmiter's has been in Hertfordshire since 1977, historical and sentimental ties with the East End of London have been nurtured. Links are retained through the Old Parmiterians' Society and through the Almshouses and Pensioners Charities of Parmiter's Foundation, and the Headmaster is Educational Adviser to the Bethnal Green Educational Fund. Traditional events such as Pensioners' Day, when Parmiter's Pensioners (as well as local elderly people) are entertained in Garston by members of the School are important events in the School Year. Other traditions which maintain associations with the long history of the School include Speech Night, Founder's Day, the Service of Nine Lessons and Carols as well as functions involving the Old Parmiterians' Society and the Parmiter's Almshouses Foundation.

During its long and rich history Parmiter's has been a Charity School, Public School, Endowed Grammar School, Voluntary Aided Grammar School, Grant Maintained and a Voluntary Aided all-ability School. In July 2011 Parmiter's became an Academy.

The School continues to accept boys and girls across the full ability range. Its organisation, ethos and management are directed by the Headmaster who is responsible to the Governing Body made up of Foundation Governors and representatives of Parents and Staff, and of which he is a member.

Parmiter's is also supported financially by Parmiter's Foundation Charity whose resources are dedicated to the enhancement of educational provision for Parmiter's students in the spirit of Thomas Parmiter's original bequest.

Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)

Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)

Click here

Please click here for Show My Homework

Thomas Parmiter Sports Centre

The Thomas Parmiter Sports Centre

Find out more

Click the image to access your WisePay account