Frequently Asked Questions


How can I tell if my child's test score will achieve a place at Parmiter's School for entry in September 2019?

The cut-off scores for previous years can be viewed here.  These should be used for guidance only. The cut-off scores for 2019 entry will not be known until National Allocation Day on 1 March 2019.  


I am thinking of applying to Parmiter's School, can I arrange to have a look round?

Please see details of our Open Day here.  We are not able to arrange visits to the school outside of the secondary transfer process.

We have just moved into the area.  Can you make an exception in our case?

We have a very high number of requests to look around the school and it is possible to visit the school during specified mornings in October.  Parents are shown around by our Sixth Form.  We do not have the resources to organise visits at other times during the school year.

I am not able to attend the Open Day, what can I do?

The school will be open for visits during October.  The dates can be viewed here and you should contact the school office to book a place on 01923 671424.

When is the Sixth Form Open Evening?

Our Sixth Form Open Evening for 2019 entry will be held on Thursday 25October from 6pm to 9pm.  The Head of Sixth Form will talk at 6.15pm, 7.15pm and 8.15pm.  Students currently attending other schools as well as our current Year 11 students are welcome to attend.  There is no need to book a place.

I am not able to come to the Sixth Form Open Evening can I come another time?

Please contact the Admissions Officer: admissions(at)  All successful applicants for our Sixth Form will be invited to come and have a tour of the school and a meeting with a member of our senior staff. 


How do I make an application?

You should apply online to your Local Education Authority and complete and return a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) to Parmiter's School.  Click here for SIF.  Both applications must be made by the deadline of 31 October 2018.

What happens if I do not submit a School Application Form (SIF) to Parmiter's School?

If we do not know about your application to Parmiter's School, there may be a delay in processing your application.

What happens if I do not submit a Common Application Form (CAF) to my Local Authority?

Places can only be offered to applicants who have applied via the Local Authority.  The following is a link to Hertfordshire School Admissions: 

What happens if I want to apply under the Academic or Music criterion but my child missed the SW Herts Consortium tests?

If an applicant has not taken the admission tests and received results prior to applying for a place at the school, then it will not be possible for the application to be considered under aptitude and academic testing.

Can I apply under more than one criterion?

Yes, you can apply under as many criteria as are relevant.


When will I receive my child's test score?

Test scores will be made available by the SW Herts Consortium on Wednesday 17 October 2018.  You should log on to the parent portal using the email and secure password used at registration at:

I have received my child's test score and want to know whether he/she will be offered a place at Parmiter's School.

We will not have this information until Allocation Day ie 1 March 2019.  The lowest marks that a child needed to gain entry to the school in previous years can be viewed under Statistical Information from Previous Years.  Click here to see statistical information from previous years.   These are not pass marks that must be achieved in order to gain the offer of a place at Parmiter's School. Each year is different and the information should be used as a benchmark to make a decision about applying to the school. 

What should I do if my child is ill on the day of the Test?

If a student is ill and unable to attend the Academic Test, parents should notify the allocated test centre as soon as possible.  A medical certificate will be required in order for the student to be entered for the Reserve Test.

What happens if my child later complains that they felt ill during their test?

Parents must be aware that no adjustment to marks can be made once a child has taken the Academic or Music Test.


Do I have to live in a catchment area to apply for a place at Parmiter's School?

No Parmiter's School does not have a catchment area and you do not have to live in a specific area or postcode to apply.   95% of the places allocated under Criterion 4 (Medical), Criterion 5 (Academic) and Criterion 6 (Music) are allocated to applicants from the following postcodes:   WD3 to WD25 inclusive, AL1, AL2, AL3, HP1, HP2, HP3 and HA6.

My postcode is not one of the priority postcodes (as listed above).  Can I still apply?

Yes, 5% of places under Criterion 4, 5 and 6 are allocated from outside the above postcodes.

I live outside Hertfordshire, do I still need to submit an application to Hertfordshire County Council?

No, you should apply to your own Local Authority but you still need to submit a completed School Application Form (SIF) to Parmiter's School.

How near to the school do I have to live to qualify under the proximity criterion?

This will vary from year to year depending on who is applying and where they live. Click here to see statistical information on the furthest distances for previous years.

Can I find out which roads or postcodes would qualify for a place under Criterion 2: Proximity or Criterion 8: Distance?

No it is not possible to give information on the roads or postcodes of students allocated a place under Criterion 2: Proximity/Criterion 8: Distance.

What happens if I move during the admissions process?

You should notify your Local Authority and Parmiter's School straight away. Parmiter's School is an autonomous admitting authority and as such will make the decision as to whether or not to accept a change of address during the secondary transfer process.

If I know that I am going to move after I apply, what address should I put on the application form?

The address that you put on your application form must be your permanent home address at the time of application, ie the address that the child is actually living at.

Is there a deadline for my new address to be taken into account for allocation?

The decision to accept a change of address during the secondary transfer process will be at the discretion of the Governing Body.

How is the distance from my house to Parmiter's School measured?

Hertfordshire County Council's "straight line" distance measurement system is used for all home to school distance measurements.  Distances are measured using a computerised mapping system to two decimal places.  The measurement is taken from the AddressBase Premium address point of your child's house to the address point of the school.  AddressBase Premium data is a nationally recognised method of identifying the location of schools and individual residences. 

Can I find out what distance my child's house is from the school?

You can find the distance from your home to your nearest school via the following Local Authority link:

What is the difference between Criterion 2 (Proximity) and Criterion 8 (Distance)?

The distances of ALL applicants are measured and placed in order. Criterion 2 is the initial 10% of places that are offered. Criterion 8 Distance places are offered if there are any places left at the end of the allocations. We simply return to the distance list and continue to work down it.


Is there a school bus from near my home address?

Click here for information on school buses

My child is good at sport.  Will this help with the application to Parmiter's School?

No.  We can only consider applications strictly in accordance with our admissions policy.  We cannot take account of any sporting or other ability.

Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)

Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)

Click here

Please click here for Show My Homework

Thomas Parmiter Sports Centre

The Thomas Parmiter Sports Centre

Find out more

Click the image to access your WisePay account