Personal Development & Careers Guidance
Through our school-wide Personal Development programme our students develop as individuals and broaden their experience and understanding of the many diverse aspects of life. Our aim is to ensure students develop the discipline, moral character and resilience to become a considerate and responsible member of society.
The Personal Development programme explores the key themes of Relationships, mental health, and emotional wellbeing, Citizenship, rights, responsibilities, and community, Healthy lifestyles and relationships, Careers and finance and Learning and revision. Dedicated Personal Development lessons are supported by our wider curriculum as some topics fall within discrete subject areas, for example: Personal wellbeing in PE; Democracy, rights & responsibilities in History; Respect & Diversity in RS; and Contraception and fertility in Biology. Personal Development is also taught in form times, through student led assemblies, and enrichment days.
In Year 10, taught lessons expand to include Ethics. Students experience a series of lessons, activities and talks designed to help them reflect on their own views, beliefs and understandings on a range of religious, spiritual, moral, ethical, personal and cultural issues.
For more detailed information about our Personal Development curriculum please visit our Subjects page.
Careers Education, Information, Guidance & Advice
The information available from this page is for students, parents and carers, teachers and employers.
Key staff: Our designated Careers Leader is Mrs Jo Zanetti who can be contacted on 01923 671424 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
The designated SLT member responsible for Careers is Mr T Henson, Assistant Headteacher.
At Parmiter’s students experience high quality, age-appropriate careers education and guidance from Year 7. Through Personal Development lessons, form periods, events and one-to-one meetings, students are guided through the transition to GCSE, post-16 options and post-A Level options.
Our students benefit from a range of impressive Careers related events:
- Our biennial University & Apprenticeships Fair gives students the opportunity to meet representatives from over 50 further and higher educational establishments and apprenticeship providers.
- In alternate years, we run a hugely successful Careers Fair. In 2019, over 50 companies were represented across a broad range of industries.
- Our yearly Apprenticeships Awareness Evening promotes this increasingly popular post-16 and post-18 pathway and is supported by a range of related workshops.
- A variety of careers-related workshops and interactions to develop employability skills.
Alongside these events, all students benefit from:
- Unifrog, a comprehensive and engaging platform for students from Year 7 upwards to explore and develop educational and careers-related ideas.
- Our internal Careers website.
- A full-time Careers Advisor based in our Careers Hub.
- A regular programme of speakers & visitors who share their career journey. We are especially grateful to our many alumni who contribute to this thriving programme.
- Morrisby profile testing, a psychometric assessment of aptitudes, interests, personality and learning styles to make the most accurate career and course suggestions.
- Information on technical and non-academic routes and access to local providers.
We encourage you to visit our News & Events page to learn more about recent and upcoming careers events and activities.